Would you accept the risk?

You are offered $1,000,000 for the following act: Before you are ten pistols–only one of which is loaded. You must pick up one of the pistols, point it at your forehead, and pull the trigger. If you can walk away you do so a millionaire. Would you accept the risk?

Short answer: Yes, it’s a million dollars, and I am in debt and have things I want. Also, there’s a 90% chance I’ll get the money and a 10% chance I’ll die. Given my tendency to walk in traffic, I clearly don’t fear death.

Long answer: What type of pistols? Some would not deliver a fatal wound, and some might not deliver much of a wound at all. If such is the weapon, the risk is less, so I even more would go for it.

So yeah, any eccentric millionaires or billionaires who want to set up this test, go for it. I’d do it in a heartbeat. I want to get out of debt.

Note: This is question 44 from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.


6 thoughts on “Would you accept the risk?

  1. I had assumed that the pistols were Desert Eagles.

    My answer is always: no. 90% I won’t pick the bad gun? Not good enough, especially not for a million dollars.

  2. Ӊi there! This article couldn’t be writteո much better!Going throuցh this post
    reminds me of my previous roommatе! He always kept
    preaching abօut this. I’ll ѕend this iոformation to him.
    Fairly certain he’ll have a good гead. Maany thanks for sharing!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s